Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Us And Them Is the Pits

There is a form of 'us and them' that has been brewing in the US: so-called elite liberals, and back-to-basics conservatives. It is how Trump got elected. He saw the gap, and widened it. Then he gathered up supporters and wedged his way into the Electoral College. What we need to focus on now is the commonalities of liberals and conservatives.

In the NY Times yesterday, there were short interviews with women as to why they voted for a man who excuses his sexist words as 'locker room' talk. The women sounded sane, and wanted change. I wondered what they wanted change from. What does 'Make America Great Again' mean? What time period? Aren't we great now?

And guess what? The only way that I would ever be able to get to the heart of what they mean, would be for us to communicate. I want to hear what they thinking. I want to understand so that we can work together to create a society that benefits all of us. Because I know that the us and them thing gets us exactly no-where.

One of the women said that she was being called a racist because she voted for Trump. And her reply is, "Wait a minute, you don't even know me."

I felt the same the other day when I read a posting on Facebook comparing conservatives to liberals. With my views, I am considered a liberal. But the definition on FB was not me. For example, it stated that liberals are vegetarians and therefore don't want to allow anyone else to eat meat. I am a vegetarian, but don't force my agenda on others. One of my sons is a omnivore and I buy him ham slices for his school lunches. We talked about it and I agreed to buy humanely raised, organic meat.

That is just one example of where the FB definitions were so wrong. It made assumptions about me that were all false. A commonality between me and the Trump supporter--not wanting to be lumped into a single, shallow definition of who we are based on one trait. We want to be heard, understood, and recognized for who we are.

Another thing we share is wanting a better life for ourselves and our children. In the capitalist U.S., this often translates to a good job that can support our needs with some extra for play time. However, many of the jobs that once sustained our middle class are being threatened by automation.

So what do we do next? What is the best way for our country to provide for all of us? More education, especially in math and science? Becoming world leaders in alternative energy sources? More research of careers that will continue to boost us as an economic power house of the world?

To me those sound like wise choices. The only way I will know what can work in your city is through open dialogue, discovering what you can do, discussions of what we can make money at in a global market.

And, once again, the only way to hear one another is to figure out what will work for all of us.

The other biggie is the environment. Actually, this is the biggest issue. If we destroy our water and air, none of these other concerns will matter much at all. That gives us another chance to connect.

Years ago, I dated a lumberjack. Yes, me. The liberal, tree-hugging, spiritual, vegetarian was in love with a logger. But he opened my eyes to a brand new way of seeing tree-cutting. He was against clear cutting, for obvious long-term reasons: no forest = no jobs, more mudslides, and a heck of a while to wait for regrowth. He advocated selective tree cutting.

He further explained that nature utilized natural fires brought about by lightening. This meant that every so often, the forest would be wiped out in certain areas. The ashes would fertilize the ground, and regrowth would be experienced. However, many environmentalists and property owners are against any tree cutting. But when this happens, there are too many trees for a forest to maintain and to stay healthy.

I would not have known all of this had we not had some great discussions. We both had a love of forests. We had a common ground that enhanced our 'crazy to others' relationship.

Buying into the 'us and them' syndrome weighs us down like a T-Rex in a tar pit. Common ground needs to be established through communication, and mutual respect.

What you do effects me. What I do effects you. There is no separation.

Be Aware Of Our Connections,
Spiritual Lynx

No comments:

Post a Comment