Thursday, July 11, 2013

Spiritual Money

Last night I finished a class linking money to spirituality.  We utilized a book called, 'It's Not About The Money' by Brent Kessel. The particulars of the book I will leave for you to learn if you, hopefully, read it--I highly recommend you do.

The leader of the class, Reverend Kevin, had us do a meditation in which we visualized what our lives would be like if we had enough money.  Immediately, I was challenged. Enough...enough? I want more than enough! I cried out inside. Why is he saying only Enough?! I pouted.

After calming down my five-year-old acting ego, I thought, perhaps, this was not a grave, silly oversight of the instructor.  Maybe, just maybe, it was I who needed to question my reaction.  Here's what I came up with:

If I never feel like I have enough money, wouldn't having more than enough present other difficulties? Maybe I would feel guilty of having a surplus when others have so little.  How much time would I have
to spend managing all of this extra money? What should I do with it? Should I create a gigantic Trust Fund for my boys that will turn them into spoiled lazy adults?  Who could I trust to manage this extra money? How much of my time will be taken away from my joy of writing if I spend my day counting coins? My mind rocks with all the questions that arise from all this more than enough stuff.

So I decided to explore the original meditation visualization we had been given.  This way calmed me down.  What if enough included the ability to tithe, save, reach my financial goals, and live the way I've been envisioning.  What if the whole world had enough?

Oh, I get it. I need to adjust what I think of as enough.

Then enough felt comfortable. I felt safe, relaxed, and harmonious.  I was catching a glimpse of The Middle Way (another good subject to blog about!).

So what about that...the whole world having enough of:

  • the basics: food, clothing and shelter
  • time with family and friends
  • creative play time
  • finances
  • career that brought joy
  • ability to meet goals
Huh, enough suddenly sounds close to peace on earth.

Note that the basics vary with each person, country, culture, family.  I see a five bedroom house with an ocean view. You may see a mansion, and someone in an oppressed area may see four walls with indoor plumbing and electricity as their 'enough'.  The world is full of variety and enough is subjective.

And in the end, Love is Enough.

Heather Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment