Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Writing Whole

It has been said that writing is autobiographic.  While the story may not be obviously a memoir, it is a reflection of where our personality is at the time of the story. When we write, we reveal what we are good at, what comes naturally, and what could be improved on.

When I first started writing, the the compliments showered on my sense of humor, and the critiques wrapped around my lack of grounding--readers did not know where they were.  The stories lacked a base of where the scene was taking place, what time/time period it was, what characters and scenes looked like, and a feel of what was going on. It was as if there was this funny, creative story floating around in the universe; great to watch but no place to put your feet down.

So I set to work learning how to set up a base to make the reader want to stay in the story. While floating in space my be exciting for a while, audiences want to relax and feel comfortable and be a part of what is going on--not scrambling about for a seat. I went into the scene with the reader. What does this place smell, feel, sound and look like? What color is the heroine's t-shirt? What does the clock on the wall read? Are we standing on rock, grass or ocean sand?

As my writing improved by learning how to get it grounded, I became more grounded as a person.  There is a connection. I needed to stop, smell more roses, observe my physical surroundings, notice the color of the sky, keep track of time, balance my checkbook, and change my oil. I was not appreciating the benefits of the everyday mundane stuff that kept me from floating away into the clouds.

The things that I had to learn to be a better writer will not be what everyone needs as we all have a different story to tell, and a different way to make ourselves better.

The reason this blog is posted under spirituality and not my writers blog, is that this is another way to better ourselves.  Write some creative fiction, have it critiqued by several writers (avoid non-writing friends as they will tend to tell you the story is great and have no idea how to critique it), and discover what areas of your life you could work on.  What commonalities are people remarking on?  These will guide you to inner awareness in a neutral territory.  Your friend may not tell you where you are lacking, but your stories will reveal it.

Is your writing pedantic, overly dramatic, full of anger and scorn, silly, scattered? Does it run from details, or tar and feather itself in overblown fears? Does it sound lonely, or lively beyond belief? Is your character hidden and constipated?

You can't hide from your personality in a story. Your insides are thrust open and your vulnerable heart exposed to every reader.  Don't let that scare you from doing this exercise. Spiritual growth is not for the couch potato lounger, but the benefits are worth a story or two.

Heather Leigh

No comments:

Post a Comment